6 years Post-Op PFD

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

6 years Post-Op PFD

Postby kiminfla » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:53 am

Friday was my 6 year surgiversary. I don't get on the boards as often as I'd like anymore but do try to update now and then to give encouragement to the newly diagnosed. My PFD (Chiari decompression) was not an "immediate" success. It took several years to see the maximum benefit of the surgery. 6 years later: I'm able to work full-time (teacher) and have a busy family life with a dh and two active children (now 13 and 11). I'm able to be med-free. Do I still struggle with Chiari-related issues?...yes! Does it get easier to cope as time goes on?...yes!

Please remember that the majority of people who have a successful surgery are not typically very active on the boards so don't get discouraged!

We are all traveling this journey, this path of wellness, together. Knowing that does make it easier. This is a wonderful, caring community of people who understand the struggles.

Be well and Be blessed my friends, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Re: 6 years Post-Op PFD

Postby razzle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 pm

good to hear from you Kim . Glad things are going well for you.. what you say is so true.take care and stop again to say Hi. Roz
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Janice » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 am

Hi Kim,

I can't believe it's been 6 yrs already. Happy Surgiversary! I'm glad to hear you're doing well also & are able to handle any complications, continuously wo/meds. Prayers for continued success and well health for you & your family.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby kiminfla » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Roz and Janice, Thank you so much for the sweet replies! You've both been awesome supporters of me since I began this journey. I hope all is well with you! Be blessed my friends, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby marymac » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Ho Kim

I am SO happy for you and what wonderful news. The age of your kids is such a fine time in life, it delights me to know you are going to be able to enjoy them, Mine are in their 20s already: how time flies when we're having so much fun.
Been turned down by all doctors for any type of surgery: they simply say it's not an option: maybe my age? (60 OMG), weight? (111), osteo? (did Forteo) but you are the first decompression friend I've ever had be so positive, and that encourages me. I think the cell-research right in the middle of our state is fascinating also: that's what I'm hoping for. So glad to hear from you. I miss your sweet posts.
Keep up the fantastic journey: and congratulations.
Love, hugs, smiles
Mary
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby wendi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Wow Kim! 6 years! Time does fly. It is nice that you stop back to encourage the newly diagnosed. You always have something nice to say to me when I find time to post. I do wish you a Happy New Year and many blessings with your family!

Wendi in PA
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby reedy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 pm

What a great post, Kim!

I agree that when things go better for people post-op, they usually put more effort in to catching up on their life at home and work than on the boards. It certainly happens to me...I'm on here more when I'm in a downward phase, as the issue of SM (in my case) is big on my mind, but when things are on an upswing then I'm thinking about other stuff.
reedy

Postby kiminfla » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 am

Mary, Wendi, and Reedy, Thank you all for the positive replies to my post! Encouragement from others is such a blessing and lifts the spirits! Through encouragement I have learned that I can do more than I thought I could and it creates a cycle of improvement, not only in the body but in the mind (attitude and outlook), too! I appreciate you SO much! Be blessed my friends, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
kiminfla

Return to ASAP Lounge