Rehabilitation

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Rehabilitation

Postby syrinx48 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

Hi all,

In just one week I will be going into Rehab for 5 weeks. It's a clinic in Germany, which is specialized in SM. I don't know if there will be Internet. I am going all by myself, don't know anyone else, and the language spoken is German. I will going to have a multi disciplinair approach, so physio, psychologist, massages, swimming, yoga, and a neurologist will all work together. Perhaps even ride a horse for balance issues ( I do hope so) this is where I will be the next couple of weeks.

http://www.de.capio.com/einrichtungen/t ... ilitation/

Janice I will give you a call before I leave, don't worry, we will stay in contact. Perhaps you can give me your home address in a PM, then I will be able to send you a postcard and tell you how I am doing!

I am very excited, and I hope I will get more balance in life after being there! Also that they have a look at my spasms, because they are constantly there now, giving me a hard time. They progressed from being myoclonias into spastic. Also my pain level has to be checked, but I must say that the ketamine works good for me though. So right after coming home on the 1st of December, I will be admitted in a Dutch hospital for getting my ketamine for 3 days.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Re: Rehabilitation

Postby gunflint » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

I wish you well and I'll be waiting for a report. I didn't know that a clinic that specializes in CM/SM existed.
gunflint

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Sounds like an interesting adventure. Be prepared to be pushed hard. Sending you positive thoughts and best wishes for success. Look forward to you sharing the experience with us.

fingers xed

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby Janice » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:51 am

I can't wait to hear how it goes either! Wishing you all the best while you're there & hoping you continue to experience great benefit afterward.

I asked my doc about Ketamine, he says they don't use that. There's doesn't seem to be much choice in an outpatient setting. If I go in now & get pain management, it would be easier to then set me up w/better meds under home health. I guess it's for our own protection.

Please do stay in touch if you get the chance.

Take care dear friend! Love you, hugs! :-)
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby smann » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 pm

I just wanted to respond to gunflint. There is also a place in NY that specializes in cm. It's called The Chiari Institute. That's where I had one of my surgeries.
[img][/img] Susan
smann

Postby Catrine » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:37 am

Good luck with the rehab!

If it's anything like my experience, then hopefully you will see sme benefit. I know I wished I could have stayed a bit longer as while I was there I did improve.

Please keep us posted (or when you get back) to tell us how the whole experience was for you.

All the best
Catrine
Catrine

Postby reedy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Oh yes, good luck Annemarie!
That sounds like they will really push you! Good choice! I'll be thinking of you!

By the way, I ended up in a German hospital after I'd been living in the Netherlands for a long time. My spoken German was not very good (but I can get by), and it had become all mixed up with Dutch words. It was notable how many of the German staff struggled with understanding if I made even small mistakes. For example, a nurse brought me a pudding and forgot to bring a spoon. I asked in perfect polite German ....but with the noun 'lepel' instead of 'Loeffel' and she couldn't figure out what I wanted, although I was waving a pudding around at her. Language flexibility is a funny thing - people in some countries are really flexible, others aren't, usually depending on how much they deal with outsiders. (You find the same thing in France where people claim they can't understand a thing if you speak French with an unexpected accent, whereas in Francophone Africa people understand you even if your are only really approximately saying something.)

Sterkte!
reedy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders