EMG question

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

EMG question

Postby Caeryn23 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm still having problems with pain and neuropathy. My EMG said:
1. "A few small, serrated motor unit action potentials were seen in the right deltiod muscle."
2. There was no F-Wave response in the left peroneal. (However, it says the nerve conduction studies were normal.)
3. The test "failed to show definite evidence of myopathy."

When I had the test, the the doctor said the muscle is inflamed. He didn't go into much detail. I don't see my regular doctor for a few weeks.

What do those terms mean, or possibly indicate? Thank you.
Caeryn23

Re: EMG question

Postby tennesseewalker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm amazed at the information the EMG can provide. I don't know how it works, but I guess the doc does. My EMG showed chronic denervation/renervation changes in the right C5-6, C6-7, and C7-8, and chronic de-nervation changes in the left C5-6 and C6-7 involving the axons more than the myelin sheaths. Now just how he could tell all that from those little shocks to my arms, I'll never understand.

I wish I could help you more.

Why don't you ask him to translate it for you? Worth a shot.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby gunflint » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 pm

It didn't work so well for me. I had an EMG before my cervical MRI. The Neurologist said that there was nothing wrong with me.
gunflint

Postby drummergrl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 pm

I don't know about the 1st and 3rd one, but the 2nd one is very similar to what I was told: My neurologist said there was no reaction in my left peroneal (I think that's where it was- it was something like that). I asked why it was still considered "normal" and he said it wasn't technically "normal" but that it didn't specifically indicate anything with a diagnosis, so it had to be coded "normal."

I'm sure that's not much help, but thought I'd pass along what I know!!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby syrinx48 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 am

I have had several EMG's which turned out to be normal. I asked how come. They told me that the nerves of the arms and legs are normal, so the EMG is normal. What is not normal, is that it comes from out of you spinal cord, that's where the problem is. That is also why most of the test comes out normal. Our problem is within the spinal cord where the syrinx is. it made sense to me.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby Graybo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am

Last edited by Graybo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graybo

Postby Caeryn23 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to know about my EMG before I saw my doctor. I see the neurologist this month. I'll ask her.

I don't know if I have a syrinx. I haven't had a recent MRI/Cine MRI.

The only Cine MRI I had says: "There is inferior herniation of the bilateral cerebellar tonsils almost down to the level the posterior arch of C1. There is very little CSF between the inferiorly herniated tonsils and the inferior vermis. These findings are compatible with Chiari type 1 hindbrain malformation."

It also says: "demonstrates very little flow of CSF around the inferiorly herniated tonsils, and around the inferoir vermis. There is adequate flow along the ventral surface of the cervical medullary junction and pons."
Caeryn23

Postby syrinx48 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Graybo,

I sent you a hopefully interesting PM

Annemarie
syrinx48

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders