Pediatric Ophthalmologist

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Pediatric Ophthalmologist

Postby itsme102376 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Hello,
Our son Matthew (age 8) has Chiari, Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, and multiple issues with his eyes that seem to be worsening. He currently is seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist. We would like a 2nd opinion and am wondering if anyone can give us recommendations on who they see? Any help would we be appreciated. We live in Indiana but am willing to travel. We prefer to keep the travel to the the Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc area...BUT...if there is someone who is very good we will go wherever we need to. Insurance is not an issue.

Matthew is nearsighted, farsighted, has a severe astigmatism he has had surgery to correct estotropia - although now after the surgery he now experiences bouts of both esotropia and exotropia, and with glasses his vision is worsening in his one eye. When I asked the MD about it...I got blown off and told to just come back next year. When I asked about what his vison is without glasses...I was told they won't test him without glasses....

His other MD (neurosurgeon, neurologist, orthopedist etc are great. No issues there. So...if anyone has any recommendations, I would really appreciate them. Thanks!

Crystal
itsme102376

Re: Pediatric Ophthalmologist

Postby pmaxwell » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 am

has your son had surgery to correct the Chiari? You do not mention it but has he been checked for ICP. Could some of the eye problems be caused by high inter-cranial pressure from a blockage? If he has had surgery, sometimes scar tissue can form that blocks the flow of spinal fluid causing pressure to build and compromise nerves. I do not have any recommendations for a second opinion, sorry.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby lcolangelo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi
Actually im replying to pmaxwell--- how do they test for increased icp? Do you know what the symptoms are and how they treat?

Thanks
Lisa
lcolangelo

Postby medicpt » Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 pm

i realize this is coming in months later and I hope you got a PM or something. To answer your question, an opthamologist would be able to look at the optic nerve and determine whether there is swelling indicating and increase in intercranial pressure.
medicpt

Return to Pediatrics