Scared at 62

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and have a nice long chat. This forum is the perfect place to get to know one another on a more personal basis. Share birthday or get well wishes, funny stories, jokes and interesting tidbits.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Scared at 62

Postby lunderwood1949 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am

This is my first visit back in many years. I had shunting surgery in 1987. In 1987 SM & Syringo were not very well known. After my surgery I had to learn how to walk again. The surgery was a "success" as I have seen many NS through the years and they all say the syrinx is not advancing and there is no pressure on the brain. Problem is my body is deteriating. I finally retired on disability in 2010 after almost 40 years with the same company. I now use an electric wheel chair and my right hand is becoming useless. Just typing this is difficult. The NS just tell me the damage was already done. Bladder & bowells are also a problem. I have a fantastic wife of 40 years but she is now becoming my caregiver. We have a strong faith in a Great God but just getting out is a chore. Do any of you feel the same way?

Wildcat Larry
lunderwood1949

Re: Scared at 62

Postby gunflint » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm

First of all welcome. Your post indicates that you have been here before but your post count is one so I figured I would welcome you anyway. Looking at your situation it sounds as though you had about 25 years of a productive life post surgery a good marriage and a strong faith so you have much to be thankful for and it sounds like you are. I had decompression surgery about 15 months ago. I try to judge it as successful as my syrinx hasn't grow but it hasn't shrunk either. I am also loosing dexterity in my right hand but I'm not as advanced as you are in that regard. Yes it can be very hard to keep positive at times. One of the things that I do is come here and just soak in what others are going through and how they are dealing with it. I'm 56 and retired on a disability in April of 2011. I get real angry at myself sometimes when I drop things or spill things or find myself incapable of doing two things at once with either hand. However I can still get around fairly well after I take my morning meds. As the day wears on I use a cane fairly heavily. I also get angry with myself when I need "caretaking" as most of my life I've prided myself on my ability to "go it alone." Anyway I'm rambling on here I just wanted you to know that there are a lot of very good people here and you're not alone. This site kind of goes hot and cold but keep checking back and hopefully you will find things to help you cope. Take care.
gunflint
gunflint

Postby tennesseewalker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Larry, I recall something a NS said to one of our members here. She was scared and didn't know what to expect. He told her "SM will not end your life, it will just change how you live it."

So we have to play the hand we're dealt and make the best of it. We're on this earth to help one another and I'm sure your dear wife doesn't begrudge caring for you. If the tables were turned, you would care for her happily, right? So just thank her for the things she does for you, and tell her she's the most wonderful woman in the universe. That will make her heart smile.

Gentle hugs.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby vframe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:28 pm

i too would like to welcome you back. as gunflint said, this site does run hot/cold but i know i have learned a lot from everyone here. it really sucks to get the reality check that you have to live a different life than you did and i think we all are dealing with this daily. but as others have said, we are here for you, even if you just need to vent your frustrations. each of us are in different areas of "decline" (for lack of a better word), i do not have to depend on anyone yet but i do feel it coming some day and i hope that my spouse is as good to me as yours is to you. and your strong faith in God will help you when no other can. yes others feel the same as you and we are here if you need us.
i too send you a gentle hug and prayers.
vframe

Return to ASAP Lounge