Heavy Head

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Heavy Head

Postby princesk8 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Anyone else experience that heavy head feeling, especially in the back of the head. My head feels really heavy I just want to lay it down on my desk, but then that feels weird too. I'm getting new MRI's soon maybe that will show something, or not. It is so distracting. Any solutions, I took my headache meds but not sure if that will help. Thank you for your help!
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Re: Heavy Head

Postby reedy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:11 pm

I feel like my neck is too weak some times. It seems worse when I have bad posture (head forward, back slouching for long periods of time, especially at the computer). My neck gets really stiff. Its helped by wearing warm stuff (a scarf of some kind) but best for me is to get exercise and move a bit.
reedy

Postby drummergrl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 pm

I know exactly what you mean! It hasn't happened nearly as much to me after I had my decompression surgery, but before my surgery I would randomly (or at least it seemed randomly) feel "unhinged" at my neck and want to have my head and neck flat. Not much seemed to help, and it never lasted long, but occasionally I used some type of heat wrap like Reedy has used and it helped a little! Hang in there!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby momsangel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Feeling exactly this way tonight, head feels like it cannot hold itself up, burning pain and my neck is weak
CM1 dx July 2009
A true friend is someone who sees the pain in your eyes while everyone else believes the smile on your face
momsangel

Postby taichi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 am

Yes, my neck feels like my head is a ton of weight. I went to PT for my neck and it helped.
the muscles in my neck and arms get all knottd up. I was given some excrises to work on at home. Not to faithful about doing them daily. Some days is a nothing day.

barbara
taichi

Postby momsangel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Barbara
I have done physical therapy on my neck and shoulders as well, I admit it works as long as I continue doing them at home, not always faithful about doing it like I should.. Luckily my PT is always willing to bring me back in to do a message which helps greatly! She is very familiar with what she can and can not to on me, she has been a blessing
CM1 dx July 2009
A true friend is someone who sees the pain in your eyes while everyone else believes the smile on your face
momsangel

Postby marymac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 am

Hi Ho Friends

It is SO different where we live: my NS, GP and PM doctors ALL said do not go to PT or we will not continue treatment. Said any and all PT could or would harm SM -- maybe due to size of syrinx? Don't know but I do not go to PT EVER. Neck pillow, neck brace even, or those things you microwave then put on neck all work pretty well for me. Soft tubs (mini hot tubs) are also wonderful if not overdone. Hope this helps. :P
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders