Calcium-Magnesium Metabolism by Walter Last

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Calcium-Magnesium Metabolism by Walter Last

Postby Graybo » Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 am

A few paragraphs copy/pasted from 'The Borax Conspiracy' by Walter Last' - about 10 pages which you can find in a search. There are a few points in this article which probably apply to most of us here, such as faulty nerve transmission.
''Calcium-Magnesium Metabolism

There is antagonism as well as cooperation between calcium and magnesium. About half of the total body magnesium is found in bones and the other half inside the cells of tissues and organs. Only 1% is in the blood, and the kidneys try to keep this levels constant by excreting more or less with the urine.

In contrast, 99% of calcium is in bones, and the rest in the fluid outside of cells. Muscles contract when calcium moves into the cells, and they relax when calcium is again pumped out and magnesium moves in. This cellular pump requires much energy to pump calcium out, and if cells are low in energy, then calcium may accumulate inside cells. Low cellular energy may be due to Candida, faulty sugar or fat metabolism, deficiencies, or accumulating metabolic wastes and toxins.

This then leads to only partial relaxation of the muscles with stiffness, a tendency to cramps, and poor blood and lymph circulation. The problem gets worse the more calcium moves from bones into soft tissue. Nerve cells can also accumulate calcium, leading to faulty nerve transmission, in the lens it causes cataracts, hormonal output keeps reducing as endocrine glands increasingly calcify, and all other cells become handicapped in their normal functions. In addition it causes intracellular magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is needed to activate countless enzymes, and a deficiency leads to inefficient and blocked energy production.

A further problem is that excess calcium damages the cell membrane and makes it difficult for nutrients to move in and wastes to move out. When the intracellular calcium level gets too high the cell will die.

Here we can see the importance of boron as a regulator of cell membrane functions, especially in regard to movements of calcium and magnesium. With boron deficiency too much calcium moves into the cell while magnesium cannot move inside to displace it. This is the condition of old age and of the boron-deficiency diseases leading up to it.

While in good health and especially in younger years a calcium - magnesium ratio of 2 : 1 is normal and beneficial and supplied with a good diet. But with increasing age, boron deficiency and resulting disease conditions we need progressively less calcium and more magnesium.

For boron to be fully effective in reversing tissue calcification ample magnesium is required. For elderly individuals I recommend 400 to 600 mg of magnesium together with the daily borax supplementation spaced out during the day, and with protracted joint problems additional trans-dermal magnesium. However, oral magnesium may need to be adjusted according to its laxative effect. I am doubtful whether calcium supplements are needed and beneficial, even in case of osteoporosis. In my view these individuals have plenty of calcium stored in soft tissues where it does not belong, and supplementing boron and magnesium is expected to redeposit this misplaced calcium into bones. I regard the medical focus on a high calcium intake as a prescription for accelerated aging. ''
Graybo

Re: Calcium-Magnesium Metabolism by Walter Last

Postby syrinx48 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Thank you Graham for this information!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby Graybo » Thu May 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Annemarie

I wondered if anyone would read it after that post saying we don't use this site much anymore :)

I found another similar article here - http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/ ... hiosulfate Dr Sircus is the man who wrote the Transdermal magnesium therapy book that got me started on this line of thinking. He has a number of books but most of them seem to be ebooks and I prefer a hard copy.
Graybo

Postby marymac » Mon May 27, 2013 6:31 am

Hi Ho Graham

This is fascinating information to me, especially since I've recently completed the 2 year Forteo program where one injects a chemical daily into the body to "regrow" bone mass. In all my research, I NEVER came across this notion. This is an entirely new avenue for me to look into. Thank you so very much.
Have the best day you can my friend.
Sunshine & smiles (fake of course. . .)
Mary
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby birdlover3 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:23 pm

This is very interesting. After reading this article, I bought the Kindle version of ‘Transdermal magnesium therapy’. It’ll probably take me a month to read it because I’m reading a lot of books from the public library at the moment.

This article really interests me because during my allergy tests, one of the things I showed an allergy to was milk. Because of my allergy, I’ve depended on greens and calcium supplements.

Graham, I’m taking my magnesium and selenium like you suggested & I appreciate your advice, along with the advice of the others here. I have not been taking boron though, even though I read ‘The Borax Conspiracy’ when you first posted about it. I’ll now have to go back and read The Borax Conspiracy to see how much boron I need to take.

Thanks again everyone.
birdlover3

Postby Graybo » Tue May 28, 2013 3:55 am

You can make magnesium oil as described in the magnesium book from either dead sea salt or magnesium chloride flakes. Saturate a jar of water with magnesium chloride or dead sea salt - you add the mag until no more will dissolve. Put it in a spray bottle and spray all over your body. If it causes itching add a little more water to dilute it.

The borax/boron seems to be powerful stuff and you need to be careful not to have too much. Boron and selenium are trace minerals so you only need a small amount, that's why I didn't bother with them - I thought if you only need a tiny amount it hardly seems like bothering with, but it is. My partner took more than I told her and she got pain in her kidneys/lower back area which is only temporary, but it is listed on that article as a possible Herxheimer reaction (healing crisis). I got some odd pains in my back and shoulder as well. One thing we have both noticed is that we have had what looks like white specks in parts of our skin like something is making it's way out and my finger nails have white specks appearing.

What I am saying is I think you can have plenty of magnesium and get more benefit, but don't go overboard with too much selenium or borax to try and speed things up. If you get a reaction to it, slow down and start with a lower dose. Although selenium and borax are classed as toxic, they are still needed in small amounts. Farmers test ground for boron levels so they know it is important.

I read somewhere the 'locoweed' on the old cowboy western films that they would use to poison the water hole is high in selenium, but many areas of the world are low in selenium, so it is not always in food items that they say it is in.

I also make a type of soda water that is refreshing. I use a pint of cold water with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, a little magnesium carbonate and a good half teaspoon of citric acid. Stir it up and it swirls around and fizzes up like alma seltzer. Bicarbonates are good for you.

I but magnesium carbonate as rock climbing chalk blocks which break up easily in a blender and add some water to make it into a liquid. Research shows animals live much longer when drinking magnesium bicarbonate water - look it up.
Graybo

Postby Graybo » Tue May 28, 2013 4:19 am

This is a good site all about magnesium

http://www.mgwater.com/
Graybo

Postby Graybo » Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 pm

good audio interview by Dr Sircus on magnesium

http://archive.org/details/Transdermal_ ... ark_Sircus
Graybo

Postby marymac » Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Graybo, you are amazing. You've generated more activity on asap. with this than I've seen in months: thank you so much. I've got white spots on my forearms and don't know why, but they've been there before I've tried any of your suggestions. Could it be. . . and age issue??? Seems the more sun I get, the more spots appear, and on one arm much more than the other. They don't itch or hurt, just look funny. Will be in touch.
Happy days, busy nights!
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby Graybo » Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 am

Mary,I think calcium under the skin is called Calcinosis cutis, you can search on google images or whatever.

Acid food and drink causes calcium to be released from the bones and into the blood.

I like to mix up my searches all the time and go off in all directions. I have found good info on animal research because vets don't use pharmaceutical drugs on farm animals - it is too expensive so they use cheap minerals to cure them naturally. Remember the salt block they hang in the field. So I find an animal problem similar to ours then search for it in humans. There is so much info there isn't time to sort through it all.

The white muscle disease in cattle, mulberry heart disease in pigs and stiff lamb disease all seem to be about calcium problems. They use selenium to treat the animals and it can work quite fast although heart problems with calcium seem to be more difficult. The minerals I have come across up to now to treat calcium deposits are - magnesium and selenium/vitamin E, boron/borax, sodium thiosulfate, and maybe vitamin k2. They say most people are magnesium deficient and you can use it on your skin as well as internally up to point where it has a laxative effect. The selenium and/or borax are only trace minerals but are very important. My mistake was thinking - 'well if its only a tiny amount what difference does it make'? but that is what has made the difference for me. I like to go straight in and take the highest safe dose to speed things up but selenium and borax are poisons if you take too much.

I would like to know how many of you have seen white areas on your MRI scans that could be calcium deposits? Just do a search on images of calcium deposits to see what they look like. Here's a page about Calcification of the arachnoid membranes - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3623106/

Selenium deficiency diseases - http://www.dcnutrition.com/Minerals/det ... dNumber=46

Soft tissue calcifications - http://www.rad.washington.edu/academics ... ifications

Some places I have been searching say you can only get rid of this calcium with surgery and I think they just don't know about minerals. That's why I stick with natural medicines like minerals.

Seems like for health you need - 1. Essential fatty acids such as hemp seed oil or flaxseed oil
2. Amino acids/protein such as in whey protein
3. About 60 minerals you can get them from unrefined sea salt such as Himalayan, Celtic, Redmonds in US?
4. Vitamins
Graybo

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders