Accupucture and Massage

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Accupucture and Massage

Postby passmass » Fri May 17, 2013 6:25 pm

This is just a reminder to anyone interested. I have had massages on several occasions, The best one ever was from a lady whose husband has MS. She knew exactly how to do Myofacial Massage and release the muscles and pain..
I also had my first session of Accupucture a while back. It was also wonderful. I rode to accupucture with a friend, the Doctors office was over 2 hrs from my home. When We got there on a late Friday evening there was a couple(wife RA) and another friend with Parkinson there from our small town. They all talked about the relief they received. I cannot afford this but every so often but they are a treat when I can. Just a thought!!
Have a Blessed Day
Passmass
EDS, SM C5-T2, CM, DDD, De-Tethered (Jan. 07), Fibromyalgia, Central Sleep Apnea, Central Pain Syndrone
passmass

Re: Accupucture and Massage

Postby pmaxwell » Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 am

I know it doesn't work for everyone but so glad that it worked for you. Sometimes insurance will cover the cost. Maybe you could contact your insurance company to see if they would cover those types of therapy/pain management. and what you would need to get it approved.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby passmass » Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks, I will. My Wife works as a Teacher Asst. just for Insurance on our family. Hers is paid for and the Kids and mine is held out of her check. It was cheaper for me to get on State insurance and let that be primary and Medicare be secondary.
Thanks Passmass
EDS, SM C5-T2, CM, DDD, De-Tethered (Jan. 07), Fibromyalgia, Central Sleep Apnea, Central Pain Syndrone
passmass

Postby princesk8 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 am

Massage has helped me, I haven't tried acupuntcure yet, however I've been told it probably wouldn't help with Chiari or SM but who knows. Glad it's helping!
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby TabulaRasa » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 am

Being a retired dancer, massages always helped with my back pain. But the effects never last more than a few hours (same with manual physical therapy). With acupuncture, the effects would last a few days. It's the weirdest sensation but it really helped to alleviate daily headaches/migraines and backed off my pain level. Sadly insurance did not cover it so definitely watch out for that prior to your first appointment. My acupuncturist actually has an MD and had treated Chiarians before too so that definitely helped, but I've never found a massage therapist with prior experience with our conditions.
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Postby karenb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi all,

Just popping by... I've recently started back with a Chiropractor due to the dislocating foot bones (he's much gentler than the podiatrist). I did this ***only after*** checking with my neurologist, who approved it only below L3 (staying far away from my spinal cord). He has been studying SM in recent years, since a friend of his is also treating an SM patient. He is quite respectful of all the awful things SM can do, and warned me to be very careful with massage, especially deep tissue massage and any "intense"massage in the spinal/neck area. So I guess massage is another area where we need to "proceed with caution".

Karen
karenb

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders