Can Straining Cause Chairi Reoccurance?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Can Straining Cause Chairi Reoccurance?

Postby NuChiarian » Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi guys, been a minute. Hope everyone's doing well.

I have a short (and kinda gross) question.

I've been dealing with IBS-C the past year I think (diagnosis pending) and I've found myself having to strain quite a bit to go to the bathroom sometimes, sometimes to the point that it makes me dizzy. I know that I should probably stop doing it, no one needs to tell me that.

Can that straining cause a herniation almost three years after surgery? Can it cause Chiari to reoccur? I've had no other new symptoms.
Spinal Decompression and cervical fusion with duralplasty of own tissue/May 2010 for ACM and SM

dx w/ Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele and Hydrocephalus at birth.
NuChiarian

Re: Can Straining Cause Chairi Reoccurance?

Postby passmass » Fri May 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Sorry for what you are going thru. I wish I knew the answer. I know my Pain Meds cause me major constipation. I know that needs to be avoided, I am suppose to take Glycolax daily.
Wish I knew the answer, but lending support.
passmass
EDS, SM C5-T2, CM, DDD, De-Tethered (Jan. 07), Fibromyalgia, Central Sleep Apnea, Central Pain Syndrone
passmass

Postby pmaxwell » Mon May 20, 2013 10:35 am

I have always heard that people with Chiari should avoid straining. I think it is important that you let your doctor know you are having problems and see what they suggest to prevent constipation.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby marymac » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 pm

My Pain Med doctor told me to take Dulcolax daily, regardless of what I eat or don't . . . because straining certainly does affect a syrinx, if you have one (many Chiarians do). Even so, he said not to strain or stretch my spine at all: even told me to quit Yoga after 30 years of it. . . actually, all 3 doctors told me no more Yoga due to my syrinx (GP, Neuro, and PM). The general rule is not to stretch, bend or twist your spine as much as possible, as I understand it. Good luck.
Gentle hugs
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby NuChiarian » Mon May 20, 2013 10:43 pm

The handbook on here says to watch out for straining the first 3 months following surgery. It's been almost 3 years for me.

What advice have people gotten from their NS's regarding this issue besides what medications to take. Has anyone been told what could happen if you strain too much? I've been dealing with this problem for about a year periodically and am worried if I already caused some damage even though I don't feel like I have. My NS is really hard to keep in contact with, so any info I could get here is appreciated.
NuChiarian

Postby karenb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Good evening,

My physiatrist (rehabilitation physician) has given me instructions against straining, especially on the commode. I have a neurogenic bowel from my SM, so that's easier said than done. I take various constipating medications, but the location of my syrinx has resulted in a reflex bowel.

He has instructed me to take 4 Senna-S tablets per day - we're still fiddling with the timing. I also use glycerine suppositories every morning, and also at night... It's not perfect, but it's better than it's been in a long time...

Key instruction was "No Straining". It didn't matter that I hadn't had surgery and only had SM (no CM) - the instruction was no straining in the bathroom.

Karen
karenb

Postby birdlover3 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:53 pm

I've also been told to not strain & to use a stool softener. If I do strain, my symptoms seem to worsen for a few days to a few weeks & then seem to return to normal. Hope things improve for you.
birdlover3

Postby NuChiarian » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm

^ Have you been decompressed?
NuChiarian

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:14 pm

I had my PFD in 1996. Never had bowel problems until after my thyroid was removed in 2010 and had to go a month without replacement thyroid hormones. But it caused me to start eating oatmeal twice a day, every day. The oatmeal did the trick for me. Seriously.

It's hard to describe how it hurts, but I think that dry heaves at the other end does it the best.

Try oatmeal twice a day.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders