Memory short term & long term

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Memory short term & long term

Postby forevermine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Is anyone having memory problems, my husband 57 yrs started having memory problems about 9 months ago at first they were short term now there long term. Tonight he didn't even no his birthday. He has sm/cm along with 2 forms of lupus, 8 years lung cancer free (only one lung now) smoldering mulitle myloma, copd. Four years ago he was still walking and driving and one fall and the next day he need a walker, he now can't move his legs at all, also has anyone experinced it moving up into the stomach area, it's getting harder for him to sit up straight and within a hour he is sliding out of his chair. He has many bladder infections that they don't want him on antibocits any more unless it goes spetic. Some of his Dr's say it's the sm/cm that makes him talk crazy at times others say it's the bladder infections. Does anyone ever talk crazy, I don't know what other word to use I don't like the word crazy because I know my husband isn't not crazy. He is on many med's for a long time and no new ones that might cause the memory and talking, the talking is not daily it can be weeks apart. the memory is progressing. I need input from whoever can answer any of my questions. Also has anyone been having breathing problems that cause carbon dioxiate to build up in the lungs and use a b-pap machine?
forevermine

Re: Memory short term & long term

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 am

Hi there,
I can't answer your questions you are asking, for they are too specific and complicated. It is not only CM/SM related. Your husband has a lot more problems. Have you been to a good NS with him who knows about CM/SM? Also, what does the doctors say about his condition?

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby reedy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 am

I would agree with Annemarie. Many of us complain of some bits of problems with thought processes, but after reading this site for many years I'd say most of the mental problems we report are secondary. The mental issues are real, important, but SM/CM has motor and other functional handicaps as its primary effects. The mental issues are linked with fatigue, pain coping mechanisms, drug responses, etc. But then again, I'm not a neurologist so you should get expert input from one of them!
reedy

Postby tennesseewalker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 am

Hi forevermine. I experienced severe memory problems that were attributed to hypothyroidism. Once I had enough thyroid hormones in my body, the memory problems went away. Ask his doc to give him thyroid hormones. What do you have to lose?

Good luck dear.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby passmass » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 pm

I am not sure about the SM/CM causing, but My Great Grandmother would talk out of her head when she had a Kidney infection. That is how my Grandmother knew she had one. She lived to be 100!
EDS, SM C5-T2, CM, DDD, De-Tethered (Jan. 07), Fibromyalgia, Central Sleep Apnea, Central Pain Syndrone
passmass

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders