Hand Tremors

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Hand Tremors

Postby drummergrl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 am

Hi All,

Does anyone else have hand tremors? I've been having fairly significant tremors of my hands (especially on the side affected by my syrinx, which coincidentally is the same as my dominant hand) and it's making it difficult to type, etc. Due to some other symptoms that have recently been occurring (heat intolerance, unexplained weight loss, etc.) my doctor just checked my thyroid levels. My labs were totally fine. Now he wants to send me to my neuro, but when I saw my neuro last fall he didn't think anything was wrong neurologically and told me to follow up with my PCP.

There are few things more frustrating than being handed off to a physician who, in turn, hands me BACK to the original doctor!!

Anyway- any suggestions? Essential Tremor has been tossed around, but my symptoms don't really line up. Parkinson's was quickly eliminated due to my age. My thyroid levels are fine. I've lost 5 lbs in 6 weeks (without trying or changing my lifestyle), I'm constantly overheated, my hands are tremoring, and I constantly feel shaky.
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Re: Hand Tremors

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 am

Hi Drummergirl,

What you have been writing could be my story. I have the same. Tremors in my hand, unexplained weight loss, (I lost 10 kg, I don't know how much that is in your metric system. Blood work is good, except for the foil acid, that was much to low. I had to take some substitution. The only thing that comes with it what you didn't write is the fatigue. I can sleep all day, I am very much in pain.
According to my PCP I am walking in a treadmill. Or doing a marathon with my body. He sent me to a psychologist, just to make sure nothing is the matter in that field. I don't feel like it, but it will do me no harm. Sometimes a multidisciplinary approach is good. I will see the psychologist on Friday. I hope it is one who is staying with both legs on the ground if you know what I mean.

Hugs,
Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby drummergrl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks Annemarie!

My doctor called and decided to start me on beta blockers- he is thinking that my symptoms are somewhat similar to essential tremor and so he is trying that treatment. I'm hoping it will help, even if it's just a little. Good luck with the psychologist...I hope it helps, although I understand what you're saying- sometimes when people think we're exaggerating or fabricating, it is enough to make you actually feel crazy!!!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby birdlover3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 am

I have the hand tremors off and on. According to my NS it is normal with either a Syrinx or CM1. It's not as bad as it used to be. I try to stay relaxed at all times. I know it sounds stupid, but if I tense my body when I notice my hand is shaking, it shakes less. But that does not always work. It normally only affects my right hand. I've learned to use my other hand, but that does not always work especially if I'm trying to cut something with a knife or eating soup.

The hand tremors bother me, but not as much as they used to. Good luck & God bless.
birdlover3

Postby drummergrl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Birdlover...glad to know your Neuro says it's normal for our conditions. It's just so confusing...I had my decompression almost 8 years ago, my syrinx is fairly small and stable, so why am I/we getting these weird symptoms? I left a voicemail for my Neuro last week and never heard back- not a good feeling! But I've decided it's not worth stressing over or calling again. I'm trying to give the beta blockers some time to work, anyway. I hope you find some relief...I know exactly what you mean about trying to use the other hand. Glad you've found a trick to deal with the shaking. I'll have to try that!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby pseudotumor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:30 am

Hi Drummergirl,

I get tremors too. So bad in fact that I decided to change my path in life because I didn't feel confident using needles and scalpels. I have chiari, syringomyelia, intracranial hypertension and have been decompressed and also have a VP shunt. Among all of my issues I'm not sure which (if any) contribute to the tremors but I also take Zonisamide every day (an anti-epileptic - though I take it for headaches/diuresis, not epilepsy), and I do notice that if I miss a dose the tremors are worse. Good luck and feel better.
pseudotumor

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders