How Popular are We?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

How Popular are We?

Postby marymac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Does any body know how many have significant Syringomyelia world-wide? I asked "how many in a million" by 2 sources, and didn't see it in any research. . . ballpark figure?
Thanks
Smiles & sunshine
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Re: How Popular are We?

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:07 am

There has never been a national registry for syringomyelia. Read the article written over 10 years ago on our site http://asap.org/index.php/disorders/the ... n-the-u-s/. There was talk at the conference of developing a database so we will see what happens.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby marymac » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks Patricia.
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby reedy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:31 am

Looking at this: http://asap.org/index.php/disorders/the ... n-the-u-s/

SM rates of 1:2000 to 1:18,000 ....that's a lot of people with SM. Something like (maximum) 350,000 worldwide - or did I do my math wrong? (maxium 7 billion/2000 or minimum 7Bill/18,000)

The lower rate is about the same as for ALS - the neurological disease that started the ice bucket challenge and raised $90million in a month or so. The higher rate puts SM as much, much more common than ALS.

This deserves thinking about.
reedy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders