Girls question

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Girls question

Postby sparks42 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:56 pm

Can SM and/or CM cause irregular periods?
...or any issues like that?

Or is it completely unrelated?
- Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion, no CM
- 24 year old female
- London Ontario Canada
sparks42

Postby dizzy2 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:04 pm

I have not heard of this as being one of the symptoms. But you never know. Has this been happening to you lately?

Blessings
dizzy2

Postby angie7 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:36 pm

I have been very regular from day 1. Always start on time every month, except when I was pregnant of course....If you are having irregular "time of the month" I would go see your OBGYN just to make sure everything is okay, this can be a sign of many things, including stress.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby gncrzy3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 pm

not that I have experienced,, but there are sooo many factors involved in that,, some meds can cause it as well.
gncrzy3

Postby Gracie Rose » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:03 am

Hi,

With high ICP from a Chiari you can have endocrine problems with the pituatary and the thyroid. It is compounded greatly if you have a connective tissue disorder like EDS. There is a subset of symptoms with a overlapping diagnosis of ACM/EDS and hormone problems is at the top of the list.

I have ACM/EDS/TCS and I was in ovarian failure at 28. I had so many hormone issues and thyroid problems. My cycles became a nightmare, all because of a squished pituatary !!

There is a video stream on it at www.thechiariinstitute.com. Click on videos then on EDNF. It is one of the physicians from TCI and one of the top geneticists at the NIH.

Lisa in WA
Gracie Rose

Postby WeeLassie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:30 am

I have CM and SM and elevated ICP and have never, never had any gynecological problems. Sometimes it is too easy to want to blame all aches and pains and other issues on SM and CM but the truth is that most are not related to these conditions. :)
WeeLassie

Postby Tidbit » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:36 am

I was having breakthrough bleeding (while on the pill) as well as sharp pains in my lower abdomen. I naturally tried attributing it to the SM and my meds, but went to the OB/GYN to be safe. Turns out I have endometriosis and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I'm going for laparoscopy I don't know when, and am trying to deal with the fact that PCOS causes major fertility problems.

Bottom line: go get it checked out, just in case it's not a CM/SM related problem.
Idiopathic SM C4-T1 and T2-T11. Cervical laminectomy and duraplasty May 2005. Syringosubarachnoid shunt Sept 2006. From Ontario, Canada.
Tidbit

female question

Postby Jenintexas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:47 am

Gracie rose,
I was told the same thing about the pituatary being squished. I was told after surgery it should go back to normal. I just had surgery on the 12 of June and I was suppose to start on the 25 of June and I have not. I was told that this could be because of the surgery as well. I am going to wait just a little bit longer to see if it starts before going. The NS said that sometimes being put under all the way will mess up the cycles of the body.

I tried to click on that link and find the video but I couldn't find it. But it is interesting about the pituatary gland.

thanks for sharing
Jenintexas

Postby WeeLassie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:57 am

Here is the link for The Chiari Institute videos. I assume the one referred to above is the video about hormonal problems.

http://www.northshorelij.com/body.cfm?i ... inkID=6407
WeeLassie

ladies

Postby razzle51 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:00 am

I am like Wee Lassie ,

I have CM and SM and have never, never had any gynecological problems. but anything is possible , but like I always say if it is a symptom that last longer than 7 days go to the Dr. It could be something else . Dont blame everything in SM/CM . :)
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Gracie Rose » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Hi again,

Although I agree that we have to be careful about blaming evreything on one condition, there is positive evidence that will be published very soon in the Neurosurgery Journal about hormone issues and the ACM/EDS combo.

PCOS is one of those endocrine problems,a long with many others. It's important gals know this so they can be treated accordingly, and not make decisioins that cannot be undone like a hysterectomy when it may be related to brain dysfunction.

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Postby Tidbit » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 am

ACM and PCOS? Wow. I wonder about SM and PCOS then, since I don't have CM (although I still wonder if I'm Chiari Zero).
Idiopathic SM C4-T1 and T2-T11. Cervical laminectomy and duraplasty May 2005. Syringosubarachnoid shunt Sept 2006. From Ontario, Canada.
Tidbit

Postby Gracie Rose » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:37 pm

I have to say, I don't know about only ACM or SM but for sure the ACM/EDS combo has the associated hormone problems.

Lisa
Gracie Rose

gyno problems with SM?

Postby pandasmom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 pm

I have to tell you, i'm 16 years old and was diagnosed with SM early this year. 2 years ago i was having EXTREME gyno. problems. I had my right ovary removed at age 14 due to a cyst that kept coming back. I had 3 surgeries in a matter of a month on my ovary. 2 other exploritorys showed nothing & my doctor said that my gyno. problems are most likely related to my SM. MANY DOCTORS WILL TELL YOU THAT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SM! I believe otherwise because i've experienced it first hand! hope this helps.
pandasmom

oops.

Postby pandasmom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:10 pm

I'm sorry i made a mistake in the reply.
It wasnt the SM that caused my Gyno problems but the Sm intensified the pain of the cyst 100x. I was told that my ovary could have been saved if it wasn't for the pain i had, ( pulling my hair out, scratching my skin & screaming in pain) & in a case of someone without SM it wouldn't have been as intense because of nerves. :] hope that helps :D
pandasmom

Next

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders