Playing Sports Before Being Treated

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Playing Sports Before Being Treated

Postby Photo Mom » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 am

My 10 yr. old son has Tethered Cord (the occult version) w/ Syrinx (described as Slit-like syrinx in the distal Thoracic segments) and neurogenic bladder. This is Dr. B from TCI's opinion (our local neurologist said clean bill of health). I was able to get Dr. to look at the MRI's before we went b/c my niece is his patient.

I am waiting for an appt. at TCI. I've returned the packet, but haven't heard from them yet.

I am concerned about letting my son play soccer and baseball before we are seen by anyone. Seasons are about to start up and my he has played every season since he was 4. He doesn't know anything about this diagnosis yet. His MRI's were in Sept. and we just got this info last week. We don't want to tell him until we have to b/c he will worry.

Most of the info I've found regarded post-surgery and/or Chiari. He doesn't have Chiari. I am discouraged from what I've read though.
Can anyone offer an opinion from their experience?
Photo Mom
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 pm


Postby KLINN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:50 pm

I am new to this site - actually today. My 14 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Syrinx after her MRI 2 weeks ago, her cervical cord C4-5 thru C7-T1. I am now waiting for the neurosurgeon to make an appt and I should hear today. This will be one of my questions for her since she is a catcher for softball and has been for the last 9 years. I did speak with her doctor and they issued a note to excuse her from all P.E. activities. I will let you know what I hear after the visit with the neurosurgeon.
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Postby Photo Mom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Thank you! We see a neurosurgeon close by March 4 and our TCI appointment is March 31. I'll keep you posted if we hear anything before then! I'm working diligently to try and get an answer.
Photo Mom
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Postby lalaswihart » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:25 pm

My daughter had TC surgery with DrB. at TCI they are great Dr's there. Sometimes it is a little hard dealing with front office staff, so keep on them. As far as sports from what I know with my daughter who is 8 you have to watch out for whiplash kind of injuries. She is not allowed to ride roller coasters for instance. With a syrinx the spine is kind of delicate, just need to be a little more carefull.

Surgery took care of symptoms and she is doing great we will be at TCI the 15th of March thru the 31st...maybe longer if not normal surgery stuff, my 6 yr old twins will be having tether cord surgery.

Maybe we will get to see you,
Tx mom of 4 beautiful little ones
8yr old CM1/SM/TC/EDS,
6yr old twins CM1/ TC both possible EDS
4yr old CM1/TC

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 12:32 pm

Postby Janice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi PhotoMom,

Since you've already returned your packet, and are only waiting on an appointment, maybe you could contact someone at TCI to see if your son can continue with soccer and baseball. Both of these are very physical type sports so if it were my child, I would call to be sure before signing up for the new season.

Take care,
GOD Bless!

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4 (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Posts: 4412
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Escondido, California

Postby willsmom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi Photomom,

Did you get my reply to your private message? Is your appointment on 3/4 with the doctor I recommended?

My 14 yr. old son who was decompressed in mid November (his CM was 12 mm and his syrinx was from C3 to T12) is a football player. We were told absolutely no sports before surgery. Of course, football is very physical.

We go back in late April for a repeat MRI to see if the syrinx has shrunk (keep your fingers crossed). If it has shrunk enough the doctor said he can play football next fall! If not, we may face more surgery.

Let me know about your appointment 3/4!
This too shall pass.
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Postby Photo Mom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Yes, I did get your message. Thank you. My head is kind of spinning with all of this on top of regular old life! I go in and out of obsessing about it.

We have an appt. at Cook's in Ft. Worth on March 4 and with TCI on March 31.
I know they tell people with Chiari not to play sports. And, I know they tell people with Chiari and Syrinx not to play. But since we have the TC and Syrinx....I don't know if the same would apply.
Soccer practice is starting, but games don't start until the end of Feb. We are thinking we will let him practice. Since he has an appt. on March 4, we should be able to get an answer then.
Photo Mom
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Postby willsmom » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:36 pm

My understanding is that it is actually the syrinx that poses the risk while playing sports. As our NSG explained to us, the spinal cord is compromised b/c of the syrinx so a rough hit could be problematic. I personally would err on the side of caution.

My son was totally devastated not to be able to play FB. After all, living in Texas you know how important high school football is. But once he understood the risk he would be taking, he accepted it just fine. He did go to every single practice, traveled with the team, etc. It made him appreciate what he has since it was taken away from him hopefully temporarily.

Good luck. I hope you like Dr. Honeycutt. We sure did.
This too shall pass.
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Return to Pediatrics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests