URGENT – 4 yr old w/ almost complete CSF blockage

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

URGENT – 4 yr old w/ almost complete CSF blockage

Postby Ralph » Fri May 30, 2008 7:27 pm

And he has no symptoms; he has CM (18 mm). We are waiting for more x-rays (total spine). The blockage and the CM were accidental findings (head tilt from time to time so they did a cat scan and they noticed enlarged dens so we got an MRI). As I said he shows no sign of CM or blockage issues - there is nothing to indicate there is a problem. We are scared to death can someone please help us.

We saw Dr. Kerry Crone Director Neurosurgery at Cincinnati Children's Hospital and I have been in touch with Dr. Frim in Chicago (we see Frim on 6-26). But our local neurosurgeon said "no symptoms then no surgery". He did order a video swallow study, sleep test, dna profile, flexion x-ray and a MRI of the total spine. While I do not want surgery, I am scared of what could happen to my son. You people are the experts and I need help and prayers for my son.

Thank you in advance.
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: URGENT – 4 yr old w/ almost complete CSF blockage

Postby brianfsmom » Sat May 31, 2008 8:43 am

Actually, Dr. Crone and Dr. Frim are the experts. I would go with their recommendation. I'd lean towards no surgery in the absence of symptoms, and wait and see, unless they gave me a compelling reason to the contrary. What did Dr. Crone recommend? He isn't the one you mean when you say "our local neurosurgeon", I assume?

Good luck, and don't panic. Take some time to think about it, and weigh all your alternatives. Good luck!
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Return to Pediatrics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests